Monique Petrin Nicholson is a commercial litigation lawyer, and Partner in the Edmonton office of Miller Thomson. Her practice focuses on business disputes, employment matters, procurement law and construction matters. Monique has a particular interest in contract law, tort law, wrongful dismissal and shareholder dispute issues. She has experience in all aspects of commercial litigation, including drafting pleadings, writing complex legal opinions, preparing written submissions to the court, and conducting discoveries, interlocutory motions and trials. She is a member of Miller Thomson's Labour & Employment and Construction & Transportation specialty groups.
Born and raised in Edmonton, Monique brings a strong academic background to her practice, having completed a Master's degree in history prior to her legal education, as well as serving on the editorial board of the Alberta Law Review and acting as research assistant to the then Dean of the Faculty of Law, Professor Lewis Klar, in the development of a 3'a edition of his well-known text, Tort Law. Monique also worked as a summer law student for the legal department of the Workers' Compensation Board.
Monique serves a wide variety of clients, from private to corporate, industrial and institutional organizations. She has appeared before all levels of Court in the Province of Alberta, the Supreme Court of Canada, as well as the Labour Relations Board, has participated in mediations and arbitrations, and has presented at seminars dealing with privacy law, employment law and debt collection matters. Monique seeks to provide cost-effective and practical legal advice to her clients, and is committed to providing the highest level of service.
- LL.B. (with distinction), University of Alberta, 2004
- M.St., Oxford University, 2001
- B.A. (Hons), University of Alberta, 1999
- Faculty of Law, Awards Received: Alberta Law Foundation Entrance Scholarship, Abe W. Miller Memorial Prize in Criminal law, J.D.O. Mothersill Memorial Bursary, Mr. Justice A.F. Moir Scholarship, and President’s Scholarship in Law
- Dean’s List, University of Alberta, Faculty of Law (2002-2004)
- Dean’s List, University of Alberta, Faculty of Arts (1996-1999)
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (Labour & Employment and Civil Litigation Sub-sections)
- Member, Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers’ Association
- Member, Edmonton Bar Association
- Procurement & Tendering Law: The Supreme Court of Canada Declines to Improve Certainty in Relation to Exclusion of Liability Clauses, Construction Communiqué - Alberta, Spring 2010
- Protecting Employees' Personal Information, Labour and Employment Communiqué - Alberta, Summer 2009